The call came just after breakfast, while I was clearing the dishes from the table.
Robert didn't bother with a greeting. "The buyer has found a problem with one of the contracts."
I set the plates in the sink and reached for a dish towel. "What kind of problem?"
"They're saying the contract may not be transferable without the customer's approval. There's also a dispute over the final payment. The buyer wants the issue resolved before they commit to the purchase."
"Can it be resolved?"
"My accountant thinks so, but the customer is refusing to approve the transfer until we've settled the outstanding work. If we have to finish everything ourselves, the sale could be delayed for weeks."
I dried my hands and sat down. After months of financial uncertainty, I had learned not to mistake a setback for disaster, but I understood why this one frightened him. The sale of the renovation division was supposed to reduce the company's debt and allow the remaining business to operate without constantly searching for cash.
"What does your accountant recommend?" I asked.
"He's reviewing the contract. He says we have to separate the legal question from the financial one. Even if the contract can be transferred, we still need to know how much the unfinished work will cost."
"Then get those answers before you decide."
Robert exhaled. "That's what I'm trying to do. I just thought we were finally getting somewhere."
"You were getting somewhere. One difficult problem doesn't erase the progress you've made."
He was quiet for a moment, then admitted that he had spent the previous night calculating the money he might lose if the buyer withdrew. The amount was significant enough to affect the restructuring proposal, and the bank would want revised figures if the sale failed.
"Have you told them about the problem?" I asked.
"Not yet. I wanted to know more before I called."
"Tell them what you know, and explain what you're still investigating. Don't wait until you have an answer if the delay could affect their decision."
He agreed, although I could hear how reluctant he was to admit another complication.
When we ended the call, I stood at the window overlooking the maple tree. A few yellow leaves had collected along the fence, and the morning wind moved them across the grass. The house looked exactly as it had before the vacation: the same red front door, the same narrow porch, the same flowerpots I had neglected while dealing with Robert's problems.
Yet I no longer looked at it with the same unthinking security. I knew how quickly a place could become a figure in a financial proposal when someone was frightened enough to stop seeing the people connected to it.
I had no intention of allowing that experience to make me suspicious of everyone. I simply wanted to remember what it had taught me.
That afternoon, Robert emailed me a copy of the disputed contract. He had included a short explanation from his accountant and a revised estimate of the potential costs. The document was complicated, but the central issue was clear: the renovation division had agreed to complete several changes requested by a customer, and the parties disagreed about whether the additional work had been properly authorized.
The buyer didn't want to inherit a dispute that might become expensive. The customer didn't want to approve a transfer while the work remained unfinished. Robert was caught between them, trying to keep the sale alive without accepting responsibility for costs he believed were not entirely his company's fault.
I forwarded the documents to Daniel, who reminded me that the contract was a business matter and that Robert's accountant and commercial attorney should handle it. Daniel could help me understand any implications for the personal loan I had made, but he could not decide whether the sale was commercially sensible.
That distinction was important. I had become involved because my house had been brought into the proposed financing arrangement, but I wasn't going to take over Robert's business simply because I could read a spreadsheet and ask difficult questions.
The next morning, Robert met with his accountant and commercial attorney. They reviewed the contract, identified the work that had already been completed, and separated the disputed changes from the original scope. They also contacted the customer to ask for a meeting.
Robert called me afterward.
"We have a possible way through," he said. "The customer has agreed to review the additional work separately. If we can document what was approved and what wasn't, we may be able to settle the dispute without holding up the entire sale."
"That sounds promising."
"It does, but it will take time. The buyer wants a firm answer before the end of the week."
"Then focus on what you can prove."
He told me that his project manager had kept photographs, delivery records, and copies of messages exchanged during the work. Those records might establish which changes the customer had requested and when they had been completed. The accountant was also calculating the cost of finishing the remaining tasks so that the buyer could assess the risk accurately.
For the first time, Robert seemed to be approaching the problem from several directions rather than hoping a single payment would make it disappear.
Later that day, Lily came over to return a book she had borrowed from me. She found me reviewing the household accounts and asked whether I had heard from her father.
"Yes. The business sale has run into another problem."
She sat at the table. "Is he going to be okay?"
"I don't know. He's working through it."
She stared at the notebook in front of me.
"Sometimes I think Dad believes he has to fix everything by himself."
"He certainly behaves that way when he's frightened."
"Do you think he'll change?"
I put down my pen. "I think people can change when they stop treating their mistakes as things they must hide. But change takes practice, especially when the old habit has been useful to them for a long time."
Lily nodded. She had seen her father become more honest over the past few weeks, but she had also watched him struggle whenever the numbers turned against him. I could understand why she wanted a guarantee that everything would be all right.
I couldn't give her one.
Instead, I told her that Robert was taking responsibility for the business and that she didn't need to solve his problems. She could support him without becoming responsible for the outcome.
That evening, Robert sent another update. The customer had agreed that some of the additional work had been authorized, but not all of it. The parties were negotiating a settlement, and the buyer had agreed to wait two more days before making a final decision.
It was progress, though fragile progress.
On Thursday, Robert called while I was preparing lunch.
"The customer has agreed to pay part of the disputed amount," he said. "We're still arguing about the rest, but the buyer says they'll continue reviewing the sale if we can document the settlement."
I felt myself relax.
"That's good news."
"It's not enough to solve everything, but it gives us a chance."
He sounded almost surprised by his own ability to tolerate uncertainty. In the past, he had treated an unresolved problem as an emergency that required immediate financing. Now he was gathering evidence, negotiating, and accepting that a solution might take several days.
His accountant sent the revised figures to the buyer that afternoon. The proposed sale remained conditional, but the buyer no longer considered the contract dispute an automatic reason to withdraw.
I spent the evening reading a novel on the porch, leaving my phone inside for an hour. It was a small luxury, but it felt significant. For weeks, I had been checking messages as though every new notification might contain a threat to my home or a crisis in Robert's business.
I was beginning to understand that I could care about his situation without remaining permanently on alert.
On Friday morning, Robert called again. This time, he had better news. The buyer had accepted the revised contract information and was prepared to proceed with the next stage of due diligence. The final sale price would be adjusted to account for the remaining uncertainty, but the transaction had not collapsed.
Robert was relieved, though he admitted the reduced price would leave him with less money to pay down the company's debt than he had expected.
"Can you still make the restructuring work?" I asked.
"My accountant thinks so, provided the bank accepts the revised forecast. I'll have to cut expenses more aggressively, and I may need to sell another piece of equipment."
"Are you willing to do that?"
He didn't answer immediately.
"I don't like it. But yes."
That answer mattered more than his relief. He was finally accepting that the business he wanted to preserve might have to become smaller before it could become stable.
I told him I was proud of the work he was doing, not because he had found a way to keep everything, but because he was learning to make decisions based on reality rather than fear.
He thanked me, then grew quiet.
"Mom, I keep thinking about how I handled the vacation. If I had told you the truth from the beginning, we might have avoided all of this damage."
"Perhaps. But we can't go back and change the conversation."
"I know."
"What you can do is make sure the next difficult conversation happens before you make a plan that affects someone else."
He promised he would.
The following Monday, the buyer requested one final set of records before confirming the sale. Robert's accountant prepared them, and the bank asked for an updated statement of the company's remaining obligations. The process was slow and demanding, but there was no longer a suggestion that my house would be needed to complete the transaction.
That evening, I received a short message from Robert.
"The buyer has confirmed they're proceeding. Nothing is final until the documents are signed, but we're finally past the contract issue."
I read the message and smiled.
It wasn't a complete victory. The company still had debts, the sale still required formal approval, and Robert would have to live with the consequences of decisions he had made during the years of rapid expansion.
But he had reached this point without asking me to surrender my home.
For now, that was enough.
Click here to continue reading: PART 14: The Buyer Wanted One Final Guarantee, and Robert Had to Learn That Trust Could Not Be Purchased With Another Promise
The Vacation I Paid For Began With a Locked Bedroom Door and a Smile Nobody Could Explain
Part 13 of 35
